Certain nutrients are labeled “essential” because we must get them from food because our body cannot make them. Omega 3 fatty acids are one of those nutrients. It has long been scientifically documented that Omega 3’s help fight inflammation in the body and helps reduce risk factors associated with deadly diseases such as heart disease and cancer. Unfortunately, many of us are not getting enough Omega 3’s from their diet.
Some common sources of Omega 3 fatty acids are: salmon, tuna, and nut oils. There is another great source of Omega 3’s that you may not know so much about – chia seeds. Chia is actually the Mayan word for, “strength.” The Mayans along with the Incas and Aztecs actually valued the chia seed more than gold because of it’s amazing health benefits. They considered it medicine and called it running food, because their messengers could run all day on just a few seeds.
Modern researchers have studied the chia seed to find confirm it’s make-up and potential health benefits. Here’s how the chia seed stacks up:
- Chia seeds are incredibly high in both Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids, both of which are vital to brain function.
- They help stabilize blood sugar, and therefore are great for people with diabetes.
- They are a complete source of protein and actually have two times the amount of protein of any other seed or grain.
- Chia seeds help fight aging because of they’re jam-packed with antioxidants. The have up to 3 times more antioxidant activity than blueberries.
- And for all of you organic lovers , the seed can thrive without any chemical or pesticide interference.